Physiomesh Flexible Composite Hernia Mesh
Physiomesh Flexible Composite is a brand of hernia mesh. Johnson & Johnson subsidiary Ethicon manufactures it. Ethicon pulled a version of Physiomesh off the market in 2016. High failure rates led to hernias recurring.
Physiomesh Flexible Composite Mesh is a partially absorbable surgical mesh for hernia repair. Ethicon used to manufacture two versions of the mesh.
One version used in minimally-invasive hernia surgeries had high failure rates. In 2016, Ethicon removed that version from the global market.
Ethicon’s 2017 product catalog showed that the company still marketed a Physiomesh version for open hernia repairs. Open repairs are traditional surgery techniques.
What is Physiomesh?
Physiomesh is a coated surgical mesh used in hernia repairs. The mesh is made from polypropylene, a type of plastic. It is sandwiched between two thick synthetic film layers. The patient’s body absorbs the laminated film coating over time.
Please seek the advice of a medical professional before making health care decisions.
How helpful was this page?
How can we improve this page?
How can we improve this page?
12 Cited Research Articles
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. (2017, April 4). Hernia Surgical Mesh Implants. Retrieved from https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/implants-and-prosthetics/hernia-surgical-mesh-implants
- Brown, C.N. & Finch, J.G. (2010). Which mesh for hernia repair? Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3025220/
- Ethicon. (2016, May 27). Urgent: Medical Device Removal Ethicon Physiomesh Flexible Composite Mesh (All Product Codes). http://www.hsa.gov.sg/content/dam/HSA/HPRG/Medical_Devices/Updates_and_Safety_reporting/Field_Safety_Corrective_Action/FSN/2016/May/HSA%206004101-002-16-22_35%20FSN.pdf
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. (2006, January 4). Class 2 Device Recall. Retrieved from https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfres/res.cfm?id=43417
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. (2012, July 23). MAUDE Adverse Event Report: Ethicon, Inc. Physiomesh Mesh, Surgical, Polymeric. Retrieved from https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfmaude/detail.cfm?mdrfoi__id=2704678
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. (2012, September 28). MAUDE Adverse Event Report: Ethicon, Inc. Physiomesh Mesh, Surgical, Polymerci. Retrieved from https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfmaude/detail.cfm?mdrfoi__id=2799300
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. (2012, July 25). MAUDE Adverse Event Report: Ethicon INC. Physiomesh Mesh, Surgical. Retrieved from https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfmaude/detail.cfm?mdrfoi__id=2639885
- Ethicon. (2017). 2017 Ethicon Product Catalog. Retrieved from https://www.ethicon.com/na/epc/pdf/ethicon-product-catalog
- Perriello, B. (2016, June 20). J&J’s Ethicon Recalls Physiomesh Flexible Composite Hernia Mesh. MassDevice. Retrieved from https://www.massdevice.com/jjs-ethicon-recalls-physiomesh-flexible-composite-hernia-mesh/
- Carroll, D.B. & Daly, D. (2018, September 18). New Jersey MCL Update: Three New Consolidated Litigations in New Jersey. Lexology. Retrieved from https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=f71cff51-32a1-4862-aa30-5b0f12bd2b6f
- Sherwinter, D.A. et al. (2016). Laparoscopic Inguinal Hernia Repair. Retrieved fromhttp://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1534321-overview
- U.S. Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation. (2019, July 16). MDL Statistics Report. Retrieved from https://www.jpml.uscourts.gov/sites/jpml/files/Pending_MDL_Dockets_By_Actions_Pending-July-16-2019.pdf
Calling this number connects you with a Drugwatch representative. We will direct you to one of our trusted legal partners for a free case review.
Drugwatch's sponsors support the organization's mission to keep people safe from dangerous drugs and medical devices. For more information, visit our sponsors page.(844) 807-8916