Physiomesh Flexible Composite Hernia Mesh
Physiomesh Flexible Composite is a brand of hernia mesh. Johnson & Johnson subsidiary Ethicon manufactures it. Ethicon pulled a version of Physiomesh off the market in 2016. High failure rates led to hernias recurring.
Physiomesh Flexible Composite Mesh is a partially absorbable surgical mesh for hernia repair. Ethicon used to manufacture two versions of the mesh.
One version used in minimally-invasive hernia surgeries had high failure rates. In 2016, Ethicon removed that version from the global market.
Ethicon’s 2017 product catalog showed that the company still marketed a Physiomesh version for open hernia repairs. Open repairs are traditional surgery techniques.
What is Physiomesh?
Physiomesh is a coated surgical mesh used in hernia repairs. The mesh is made from polypropylene, a type of plastic. It is sandwiched between two thick synthetic film layers. The patient’s body absorbs the laminated film coating over time.
Please seek the advice of a medical professional before making health care decisions.
How helpful was this page?
How can we improve this page?
How can we improve this page?
15 Cited Research Articles
Drugwatch.com writers follow rigorous sourcing guidelines and cite only trustworthy sources of information, including peer-reviewed journals, court records, academic organizations, highly regarded nonprofit organizations, government reports and interviews with qualified experts. Review our editorial policy to learn more about our process for producing accurate, current and balanced content.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. (2017, April 4). Hernia Surgical Mesh Implants. Retrieved from https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/implants-and-prosthetics/hernia-surgical-mesh-implants
- Brown, C.N. & Finch, J.G. (2010). Which mesh for hernia repair? Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3025220/
- Ethicon. (2016, May 27). Urgent: Medical Device Removal Ethicon Physiomesh Flexible Composite Mesh (All Product Codes). http://www.hsa.gov.sg/content/dam/HSA/HPRG/Medical_Devices/Updates_and_Safety_reporting/Field_Safety_Corrective_Action/FSN/2016/May/HSA%206004101-002-16-22_35%20FSN.pdf
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. (2006, January 4). Class 2 Device Recall. Retrieved from https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfres/res.cfm?id=43417
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. (2012, July 23). MAUDE Adverse Event Report: Ethicon, Inc. Physiomesh Mesh, Surgical, Polymeric. Retrieved from https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfmaude/detail.cfm?mdrfoi__id=2704678
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. (2012, September 28). MAUDE Adverse Event Report: Ethicon, Inc. Physiomesh Mesh, Surgical, Polymerci. Retrieved from https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfmaude/detail.cfm?mdrfoi__id=2799300
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. (2012, July 25). MAUDE Adverse Event Report: Ethicon INC. Physiomesh Mesh, Surgical. Retrieved from https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfmaude/detail.cfm?mdrfoi__id=2639885
- Ethicon. (2017). 2017 Ethicon Product Catalog. Retrieved from https://www.ethicon.com/na/epc/pdf/ethicon-product-catalog
- Perriello, B. (2016, June 20). J&J’s Ethicon Recalls Physiomesh Flexible Composite Hernia Mesh. MassDevice. Retrieved from https://www.massdevice.com/jjs-ethicon-recalls-physiomesh-flexible-composite-hernia-mesh/
- Carroll, D.B. & Daly, D. (2018, September 18). New Jersey MCL Update: Three New Consolidated Litigations in New Jersey. Lexology. Retrieved from https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=f71cff51-32a1-4862-aa30-5b0f12bd2b6f
- Sherwinter, D.A. et al. (2016). Laparoscopic Inguinal Hernia Repair. Retrieved fromhttp://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1534321-overview
- U.S. Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation. (2019, July 16). MDL Statistics Report. Retrieved from https://www.jpml.uscourts.gov/sites/jpml/files/Pending_MDL_Dockets_By_Actions_Pending-July-16-2019.pdf
- U.S. Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation. (2020, July 16). MDL Statistics Report - Distribution of Pending MDL Dockets by District. Retrieved from https://www.jpml.uscourts.gov/sites/jpml/files/Pending_MDL_Dockets_By_District-July-16-2020.pdf
- In Re: Ethicon Physiomesh Flexible Composite Hernia Mesh Products Liability Litigation. (2020, May 19). Practice And Procedure Order No. 21. Retrieved from http://www.gand.uscourts.gov/sites/default/files/rws2782_Doc563.pdf
- In Re Physiomesh Litigation. (2020, July 15). (Third) Order Extending Discovery End Dates. Retrieved from https://njcourts.gov/attorneys/assets/mcl/physiomesh/orders/nonCmplFilingDetail_faces.pdf?c=U9u
Calling this number connects you with a Drugwatch representative. We will direct you to one of our trusted legal partners for a free case review.
Drugwatch's sponsors support the organization's mission to keep people safe from dangerous drugs and medical devices. For more information, visit our sponsors page.(844) 807-8916